Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Scrappy Cappy Coffee Cozy

Round 2 of Nerd Wars has started, the new challenges are out. I'm going to try to avoid a super long wrap up post this time by posting my projects as I complete them and then just do a quick visual summary of the project when the round ends.

The first challenge I completed was the Technical Challenge: The Scrap Heap-
"Your challenge this month is to craft something using scraps and leftovers. If needed to complete your project, you may supplement your scraps with non-scrap yarn. You can use scraps from a single project on their own to create something fun, or combine the scraps from multiple projects for the ultimate scrappy project. Or, if you are the kind of crafter that doesn’t have any scraps lying around (you are neater than I, and I salute you), you have the option of stashbusting to fulfill this challenge.


A “Before” photo of the scraps would be fun to see, but it is not required."


I decided to make a coffee cozy for my coffee cup at the office. It’s a fairly warm mug, and I really hate those cardboard cup holders. This Scrappy Cappy Coffee Cozy was a simple improvised knit that used the remnants of several very colorful skeins of yarn - 2 noro skeins and 2 morrocan wool/silk skeins. After knitting it together, i decided to felt it - one because it looked pretty big and my coffee cup is pretty tall and thin. Plus, I really love to felt! I was very please with how this turned out!

My Tie In to Buffy was fairly easy.  Buffy, Willow, Xander, Giles… pretty much the whole cast it seems like… enjoys a Cup O’ Joe. Whether it was the nasty 3am research coffee, cappuccino with maybe a future hunny at The Bronze, or a scolding for being a run-away at the Espresso Pump, coffee was key.  I don't remember any of their cups having a spiffy cozy like this one... might have made it taste better.





The Pattern:
Materials: Any scraps of wool or feltible yarn
Needles: Size 10 Circular Needles
Gauge:  Doesn't really matter, its going to be felted
Notions: Stitch marker

CO 42 sts and join (I used magic loop)
K till piece measures 3.5 inches
increase one stitch on both sides for a total of 44 sts
K till piece measure 6 inches total
K1 SSK K till 3 stitches remain K2tog K1
K
Bind off
Weave in ends and felt

No comments:

Post a Comment